Pisces 21 Daysailer Specifications
The Pisces 21 Daysailer
The Pisces 21 is inspired by the traditional Herreshoff FISH class daysailer, was designed by C.W Paine in 1999. Over the past twenty years we have proudly produced over 50 of these traditional daysailers in both cold moulded wood or fiberglass construction and continue to offer both mediums. No matter your choice of material, these small yachts are finished to the highest standard of our Maine Boat Building tradition, the finest daysailer/weekender you’ll find on the coast of Maine or anywhere else.
There are many options available for your Pisces. We will work with you from conception to delivery to help make each decision as easy as possible. The quality and detail of traditional Maine boatbuilding is reflected in every step of construction. We take great pride in using the finest materials available to create an exquisite yacht. From keel to mast our skilled craftsmen devote hours to every intricate step of the process as each boat evolves and takes on it’s own individual personality.
LOA | 20′-9″
LWL | 16′-4″
DRAFT | 2′-11″
BEAM | 7′-2″
SAIL AREA | 260 SF
DISPLACEMENT | 3250 lbs
BALLAST | Lead 1600 lbs
The original Pisces 21 was designed with a more modern Marconi rig [LEFT], inboard shrouds and swept back spreaders. The taller high-aspect sloop rig and tighter sheeting angle allows her to point closer to windward. The Gaff Rig [RIGHT] sail plan is a more traditional rig with that ‘Old world charm.’ Although not as efficient to windward as the Marconi rig, the gaff rig performs incredibly well if one is sailing on any course other than a hard beat to windward. The Sewanhaka Yacht club is in the process of trying to rebuild Their ‘Fish’ racing class and wished to have the more traditional aesthetics and versatility of the Gaff rigged sail plan.
The full keel fiberglass hull is infused using vinylester resin. White Gelcoat finish is standard. The rudder is also molded fiberglass with a foam core. The lead ballast keel is externally bolted with 9 X ½” #316 grade Stainless Steel bolts and the rudder pintles and gudgeons are also #316 stainless steel.
Hand laid up fiberglass with vinylester resin, foam cored and finished iwith choice of color Awlgrip™ and non-skid additive. The toe rails are teak and cover the hull to deck seam. Custom cast bronze hardware is standard comprising of a 10” hollow ‘Herreshoff style’ mooring cleat on foredeck, 2 X 7”aft cleats and a pair of custom bow chocks. A bronze winch is provided for the main halyard. A bow to stern teak rub rail adds extra protection to the hull/deck joint as well as adding a nice aesthetic sheer detail.
Large and deep cockpit with 6 ½ foot long seats angled in harmony with the coamings for comfort. Seats, coamings and trim are teak (according to market price and availability) or mahogany (varnish is optional). Shelves for stowing loose gear, drinks, lunch or VHF are provided between the seats and the hull. Deep bilge compartment is easily accessible through a lift out hatch for pumping. The inside of the boat has two separ ate hand laminated molded liners that are bonded to the hull serving as structural bulkhead and stiffeners. All visible surfaces inside the hull are easy to maintain, finished in white Gelcoat. The soles are painted with non-skid Awlgrip like the decks. A handsome varnished ash tiller is comfortable and easy to reach. And a teak boom crutch is standard.
A self-tending hanked on jib with jib club and traveler is standard. The keel stepped mast is carbon fiber with a single set of spreaders, two topping lifts (Main and jib), and two internal halyards. The mainsail boom has jiffy reefing setup. All halyards, reef(s), and sail control lines are easily controlled from the safety of the cockpit. Mainsheet is 4:1 block and tackle on a traditional custom bronze traveler with a Cam cleat near the helmsman. Standing rigging is 1 X 19 stainless steel shrouds with bronze turnbuckles. Running rigging is low stretch braided rope. A complete spinnaker package is optional.
The cuddy cabin includes two stowage outboard shelves with fiddles, hanging hooks for lines and foul weather gear. There is space for an optional portable toilet and a cooler. Positive flotation in watertight compartments with inspection hatches: one forward of the mast and one under the sheet/stern deck can also be used for stowage the third compartment is located under the cockpit sole and is not accessible to stow gear but has an inspection port for pumping and a drain plug.
- Roller furling (Harken), jib with vertical battens and self tending jib club
- Outboard Gunwhale Mount custom SS removable/stowable bracket
- Inboard electric drive with 2 AGM batteries and charging system/shore power,shaft,prop and electrical system below
- Upgrade above to Lithium Ion battery and fast charger for above
- Diesel inboard (includes electrical system and fuel tank, drive train, prop and controls)
- Max Prop two bladed feathering propeller add to above
- Max Prop three bladed feathering prop
- Electrical system ( includes; breaker panel, cabin light, 12v outlet, master battery switch, automatic bilge pump (with control panel), running lights & bow steaming mast light.
- Manual bilge pump mounted in cockpit sump with strainer
- Compass Bulkhead mount Plastimo Mini Contest
- Sails, cruising cut white Dacron (Main 1 reef and self tending “hanked on” Jib with battens)
- Upgrade above to racing sails tri-radial main with full top batten and car, jib and tapered battens,
- Spinnaker Package (Sail color layout choice, ST winches, all run rigging and carbon pole)
- Bronze self tailing winches for above Spinnaker package
- Cockpit boom tent/mainsail cover with zipper and hardware installed
- Bottom paint (epoxy primer and ablative type antifouling 2 coats)
- Cradle for shipping or storage
- Trailers ( freight charges from manufacturer not included) Base price, basic single axle galvanized TRIAD brand “Lift Off” model no options
Each Pisces is individually crafted to meet your needs. For a complete list of available options or to discuss how to make your Pisces a reality please contact us.
Availability subject to change unless secured with deposit and building contract
Each Pisces is individually crafted to meet your needs. For a complete list of available options or to discuss how to make your Pisces a reality please contact us. Above specifications for the fiberglass model. Specifications for Pisces with inboard power or cold molded wood version available upon request.