16' Herreshoff 12 1/2
Chestnut is a fine example of the Herreshoff 12-1/2 class small daysailer built by the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company in 1930. Chestnut was entirely rebuilt in 1987 by the Wickford Shipyard in Rhode Island where she is currently stored and maintained. She is in very good condition, is actively sailed every year.
PRICE | $31,500
BOAT TYPE | Herreshoff 12 1/2
YEAR BUILT | 1930 Hull #1158
DESIGNER | N.G Herreshoff
BUILDER | Herreshoff Manufacturing Co.
LOA | 16 Feet
BEAM | 5′ 10″
DRAFT | 2′ 6″
DISPLACEMENT | 1,500 lbs
LWL | 12′ 6″
SAIL AREA| 140 sq. ft.
Chestnut is a Herreshoff 12-1/2 sail boat built in 1930 at the Herreshoff Manufacturing Co. in Bristol, RI. Her hull number is 1158 . She has an external lead keel bronze fastened and an outboard rudder.
Chestnut is an open boat, with a small foredeck, short afterdeck, and a coaming encircling the open cockpit. Her hull planking is 1/2’’ cedar over 11/16 X 3/4’’ oak frames spaced 8’’ on center. Decks are 3/8’’ cedar over 5/8” X 1.25” oak deck beams. Keel and floor timbers are oak, with all exterior deadwood being yellow pine.
Transom, sheerstrakes, and coamings are white oak (typical of this class of boat till 1932), and all are varnished. Cockpit floors are bare cedar and cockpit seats are varnished western red cedar. Bulkheads fore and aft are 5/16’’ mahogany marine plywood painted white. Original Herreshoff builder’s plaque in place (#1158). White hull, red bottom paint.
- Varnished ash tiller
- Boom crutch (Varnished oak)
- Varnished western red cedar seats
- Hardware is all bronze
- In 2016 blocks were replaced by bronze ball bearing blocks manufactured by JM Reineck and Son
- Marconi rig
- Running and standing rigging in good condition
- Spars are varnished douglas fir
- Jib, mainsail and, spinnaker
- Sails made by Gambel & Hunter (2014). Dacron cloth which have the look and feel of antique cotton cloth
- Cockpit cover (2015) protecting the entire cockpit
- Life jackets
- Anchor and line
- Custom galvanized Triad trailer, thirty years old, in good condition.